Monday, September 1, 2008

I'M BAAACK!


Hey All You Blogger Hipsters!


After a short hiatus, I'm finally back with an update... First of all, I'd like to congratulate all of the participants in the 2008 Summer Olympic Games. I especially would like to give props to our (American) teams and individuals for their gold medal performances. And that fish out of water - Michael Phelps, who broke Mark Spitz' record for the most golds won by a single athlete!


One of my new heroes is Henry Cejudo, a fellow Angeleno who won a gold medal in wrestling. Henry was so overcome by his accomplishment, he proceeded to wrap himself in an American flag while tearfully accepting his medal. Henry's parents are illegal immigrants from Mexico and despite an impoverished background, he managed to find his passion and excel at it. His story is at... www.latimes.com/la-spw-olywrestling20-2008aug20,0,7484793.story - 56k -.


Other than that, I'm officially part of the working force again (since August 18th) and loving it! I work as an investigator for the city's Equal Employment Investigations Office and collaborate with three other investigators to investigate discrimination claims made by any one of the city's 11,000 employees. This is my first gig in management, so I'm apprehensive as well as excited by the challenge of becoming a civil servant in my newly adopted home city!


A few weeks ago, I got to spend time with the family (Dad, Cindy, Steve, Deb, and Ryan) up in Solana Beach. It was good to see everyone again and get a few minutes of bodysurfing in as well. I even worked up the nerve to hold little Ryan. Now that I live in San Diego, I'm anticipating becoming more of an outdoorsman...with the weather, beautiful beaches, Mission Bay, getting into shape, and a few people that I work with into the more extreme stuff like surfing, kayaking and rock climbing who eagerly want to recruit new partners. Don't be surprised if my next blog is about me getting into shape for a mini-ironman competition! Until next time...


Ciao!

2 comments:

Andy, Beth and Jennah, too! said...

SO JEALOUS!!! You need to start posting pictures of your new activities.... We've got to see the beach somehow... we'll live vicariously through you!!!

Shannyn said...

Ya Gary- we want some pictures!! ;)

We may not have any cute kids to photograph, but we're still cool! haha!