Monday, July 21, 2008

I've Waited and Can Exhale! For A Cubicle??


Well, after 9 months of unemployment, sending out 100s of resumes and online applications, trying to get onto every city and county job eligibility list I qualified for (8 at last count), attending non-productive job fairs, registering with and calling temp agencies on a weekly basis for jobs, and going on roughly 20 nerve-wracking interviews, I can finally say that the effort has finally paid off because:



TODAY I GOT AN OFFER FOR THE JOB FROM THE CITY OF SAN DIEGO!



The timing of the offer was incredible! I was scheduled to begin work at my old job on Wednesday and I was actually preparing for the drive tomorrow night from SD back to LA when one of the deputy directors called me this afternoon to make the offer. I accepted the offer of course; but still have to submit my fingerprints for the background check (and clearance) before I officially begin. I'm soooo relieved to have been offered the position and look forward to really taking advantage of living in San Diego.



I should add that I'm very grateful that my old employer was gracious enough to have me back and I was just ready to get back to work. Although my old job would have met my needs on a short-term basis as far as financial stability; the city job (which I've held my breath for since the first interview six weeks ago) offers financial stability, the opportunity for long-term career growth and development, and an office in downtown SD--which is the hub for the city's public transportation system (a system I plan on using daily given the high gas prices) and some pretty cool bars and restaurants--which will be very useful after a stressful day at the office!



Aside from learning how to survive on a third of my former salary over the past 9 months, I've also learned alot about patience and how for some reason things seem to work out just when they need too...



I would also like to take this time to give a serious shout out to my mom, Dave, my dad, Cindy, Steve (the tie worked), and Deb (the blog wallpaper is definitely me) for their support, encouragement and hospitality during my exxxtended period of unemployment and anxiety. Once I get settled, dinner's on me! So WHEW!!!




2 comments:

Steven, Deborah, Ryan, Dani and Doggies too! said...

Gary! Congrats! Patience has paid off and now you're done with all of those exhausting interviews.can't wait to visit you in san Diego! You'll have to take us to the beach. I'm jealous!

Andy, Beth and Jennah, too! said...

YOU GO GARY!! We're SOO excited for you! I knew you'd get it (I just didn't want to tell you too soon!) hehehe. Next time we come down... we'll come visit you and the beach!!!