Monday, January 26, 2009

I'M BAACK (I THINK)!





Hi Everybody,

First of all, I'd like to wish everyone a healthy, happy and prosperous 2009!

Second of all, I'm still in shock (happily) that America has elected it first black president. I know a lot of people don't see the significance of it, but you have to remember that blacks couldn't even vote legally in the U.S. until 1964! Add that on top of the sanctioned racism and social exclusion that blacks faced during most of the 20th century...and the reasons for the record turnout in voting amongst blacks and optimism for future generations of minorities and women that the country's highest glass ceiling has finally been broken explain themselves!!

My only hope is that people don't write him off because of his relative youth and give him a chance to begin to straighten out our seriously wounded economy, mend our strained international relations, and find a way to safely bring our troops home from Iraq & Afganistan.

Other than that, things continue to chug along here in San Diego. Since I haven't posted in a while, here's a short synopsis of what's been going on since my last entry:




NOVEMBER 2008
Went to a great concert at the House of Blues and saw Matisyahu, an orthodox Jewish rapper whose lyrics flow with a reggae beat; and Flotbots, a great alternative rap group with two high-energy front men and a really cute girl who plays the violin.


Spent Thanksgiving at the Cids' place. They've really done some impressive work on their home and Steve and Samantha are full-fledged teenagers! Geez, it seemed just like yesterday they were about yea (3-feet) high.



DECEMBER 2008
Helped the Favero's celebrate Ryan's first birthday. Of course, Ryan's skills as a ham continue to sharpen and I believe that he will use said skills on Mom & Dad in the future for lots of toys and money. It was very nice meeting all of Ryan's friends and his beloved babysitter, Miss Arlene. It was very cool to see the Norman's--hadn't seen them in a while--and Jennah's growing like a sprout!!

Christmas was spent at the Favero's and they had a lavish buffet of the traditional holiday meal. Unfortunately, I had to work the day after Christmas, so I made an early exit shortly after dinner.



JANUARY 2009
I rang in 2009 in the Gaslamp. It's so nice being able to be close enough to bars to walk home!!


Celebrated my 39th b-day with co-workers where we once again hit up the Gaslamp. I can't believe this will be the last year I'll get to say I'm 30-something!!! I'll be officially 40-and-over next year. Wow! Cindy gave me a really cool handmade quilt for my birthday which I was finally able to use last night as it was kinda chilly.

Watched the Chargers get stomped by the Steelers and their chances of a Super Bowl taken away. Good thing there's more to do here than football, otherwise there'd be some very depressed folks in SD!




FEBRUARY - MARCH 2009
For Super Bowl Sunday, I'm headed to a co-worker's place up in Ramona for a Super Bowl party. The party is an annual tradition for her and her husband and they usually go all out: pools, prizes, food, etc. Go Cardinals!!

My six-month lease will be up in March, so I've begun the search for a larger apartment. I love living downtown, but still have a strong urge of "go west young man", so the search will probably include the beach areas where there are some pretty decent places that I can find for very close to what I pay right now. Besides, there's a nice gas grill from Lowe's with my name on it, and I need a place to park it!!
For those of you still awake, that pretty much sums up what I've been up to for the past few months. I'm looking forward to new adventures and meeting new people throughout the year and hope to be able to hang out with y'all soon. I'd really like to be able to post some pics soon--the ones I really wanted to post from the concert were underdeveloped.


Until next time...

2 comments:

Shannyn said...

It's so good to hear from you! It has been awhile, but the post was a great one!

As for Obama being our new president...I'm sure people can see my enthusiasm from a mile away! If you would have asked me a year ago, I wouldn't have believed it.

I know he's said it many times, America is in turmoil and it will take a lot of work- but I'm sure there are people quick to judge if he can't wave a magic wand. I hope that people will give him a chance, see if he does well or messes up and then throw stones, regardless of what side of the fence you sit on.

He has already done some pretty awesome stuff and I finally feel hopeful that our government might be able to think outside of the "rich white male" box. Lets see...

And by the way, you got to see some good concerts so I am very jealous!

Andy, Beth and Jennah, too! said...

SOOOO jealous (again) that you got to see Matisyahu!! PICTURES!! WOW! Thanks for updating your blog... I always look forward to hearing your latest news. It was great seeing you too in December!... Happy 39th birthday!....Next year you'll be 39 again, right? I really hope to see that grill from Lowe's the next time we come down! Take care!!! Love, Us