Monday, July 6, 2009

HAPPY 233rd BIRTHDAY AMERICA!



Hi Everybody,





Hope everyone had a great and safe Independence Day 2009! We had a three-day weekend (Friday off), so I took the opportunity to sleep in and be lazy. It sure was crazy at the beaches--according to media reports 1.3 million people flocked to the coast here in San Diego over the weekend for the traditional 4th of July festivities. The weather was absolutely terrific, with highs in the low 70s and pure sunshine! Due to the number of people expected at the coast, I didn't dare driving out of OB so I stayed home.



Me and a couple of my neighbors went to check out OB's annual fireworks show and it was very entertaining to say the least! In my many years of observing fireworks shows, this was the first one where a couple of the exploded patterns were in the shape of happy faces! Only in OB (maybe in Venice Beach too, but VB doesn't have it's own fireworks show)! The fireworks from OB are shot from the pier and I got another unexpected surprise: the (simultaneous) fireworks shows from Sea World, La Jolla, and Coronado were also visible from the beach where we were. I also got introduced to the tradition of people hurling marshmallows at each other after the show. It was somewhat cheesy, but very cool and good-spirited in nature!



Afterwards, the celebrations continued. We were just walking down the nearby streets headed to the bars and there were house parties all over the place and people (old and young) had music blaring, grills grilling, and just generally enjoying the night. Last Saturday, the community hosted the annual OB Street Fair/Chili Cook Off--lots of bands, beer gardens, food and art vendors, and chili samples of course. Again, just a really cool vibe--even with 70,000 people hanging out!



Other than that, I'm just workin' for a living and gearing up for my first trip to Lake Havasu in a couple of weeks to hang out with Chuck, Cindy, Steve, Deb and Ryan.

Andy, Beth and Jennah, congrats on the new house! Thanks again for keeping us a part of your experience and I can't wait to see it...

Best Regards

3 comments:

Grammie Norie and Poppy Vern said...

Wow...I think we should have all piled down to SD for the weekend!! LOL...we had a great weekend also :-) Shannyn came up and so did my step-sister Carla from Culver City. We hung out and watch Jennah run around (it never get's old, we don't even watch TV anymore). Shannyn went to the local water park w/Travis and friends, then for the 4th we enjoyed our block party. Glad to hear you are enjoying SD!!! Take Care, Norie

Andy, Beth and Jennah, too! said...

I totally agree with mom... We're SOOO going down to your place next year!!! Have fun in Havasu! I'm sure it will be a blast!... are you sure you wouldn't rather come up here and move boxes!? LOL Can't wait to have everyone up here for a visit!!! Give Ryan kisses for me!

Shannyn said...

San Diego is fabulous isn't it?? So glad you had a happy and safe 4th!